What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files that reside on your computer, when you visit a website. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
A cookie is a text file, not a program file. This means that cookies themselves cannot run anything on your computer. Cookies cannot collect information, spread viruses, or in any other way do harm to your computer. The content of the cookies are read and written by the web pages you visit.
Cookies used on siteimprove.co.uk
The cookies we use on siteimprove.co.uk for web analytics help us analyse the usage of the website which allows us to improve the website and make our services more user friendly.
The cookies we use for functionality purposes enable us to integrate a twitter feed at the bottom of each page and enables sharing functions for different social networks.
We do not save any web analytics (tracking) cookies on your computer unless you have accepted our cookie banner.
The analytics cookies we use on siteimprove.co.uk are:
- Siteimprove Analytics Cookies
- nmstat - This cookie is used to register whether or not you are a returning user. The cookie contains an ID number. The cookie expires 1001 day after your last visit to the website.
- ASP.Net_SessionID - This cookie is used to track your current session while you are on the website. The cookie expires 30 minutes after you leave the website.
- Google Analytics Cookies
- __utma - This cookie is used to calculate unique visitors. The cookie expires 2 years after your last visit to the page.
- __utmb - This cookie is used to track you current session while you are on the website. The cookie expires 30 minutes after you leave the website.
- __utmz - This cookie is used to find the referrers for your visits to attribute your visit to the correct source. This cookie expires 6 months after your last visit to the website.
Additionally to web analytics cookies, we make use of the following third party cookies for social media functionality purposes:
- Twitter.com - These cookies are used to enable the Twitter feed at the bottom of each page.
- guest_id - This cookie expires 730 days after your last visit to the website.
- k - This cookie expires 7 days after your last visit to the website.
- ShareThis - These cookies enable social media sharing functionality
- __uset - This cookie expires 5 hours after you leave the website.
- UIDR - This cookie expires 720 days after your last visit to the website.
- __stid - This cookie expires 365 days after your last visit to the website.
- UID - This cookie expires 720 days after your last visit to the website.
What happens if I don't accept your cookies?
If you do not accept our cookies, no web analytics cookies will be saved to your computer. The functionality cookies will still be saved as the website will not work correctly without these. If you want to avoid all cookies from our website, this can be set from your browser settings. If you choose this solution, there might be parts of the website that won't work.
We hope you will choose to accept cookies, as this will help us improve the website and how you experience it.
How do I remove cookies?
When you have accepted cookies from a website you can always remove them again. This is done in your browsers privacy settings.
Why do Siteimprove inform about cookies?
We have this information on our website because of the new EU Cookie Law.